ChameleonOS alpha 1 is currently based on Unity Linux RC2.
- Kernel 18.104.22.168
- Xorg 1.7.5
- Smart 1.3 package manager for RPM and Smart applet
- Openbox 3.4.11
- LXSkins – the centre piece of the OS. A bespoke desktop skin changer and creator.
- Unity Control Center (ported from Mandriva Control Center)
- GDM login and session manager
- Chromium web browser with mplayer plugin
- Thunar file manager and volume management tool (possibly to be superceded by PCManFM2 in time)
- PCManFM 0.5.2 is included for desktop support if required
- Sylpheed for email.
- Orage calendar
- Gnome-mplayer for video, embedded video, and DVDs.
- Brasero for CD/DVD burning
- Audacious for listening to digital music and CDs
- Pidgin (instant messaging), XChat (IRC) and Twitux (Twitter client)
- A range of applications to configure the desktop: Nitrogen (wallpaper setter), LXappearance (GTK/Icon theme), Obconf (Openbox Configuration tool), mouse cursor script.
- A range of applications for everyday use such as a Sakura (terminal), editor (Medit), archiver (Xarchiver), task manager (LXtask) Galculator (GTK based calculator), Viewnior (image viewer), aumix (volume/mixer).
- Flashplayer plugin and libdvdcss2 (for DVD decryption) can be installed from Smart Package manager.
- Click here for a full list of included packages.
What there won’t be is OpenOffice or GIMP as space is a premium on the liveCD but these can be easily installed from the repos. I am currently investigating suitable light-weight alternatives.
I am open to suggestions with application selection.
ChromiumOS ISO will be created using the Mklivecd application. Installation will be via the Unity Installer (a port of the Draklive installation tool from Mandriva).